Hearty enough to serve solo, chorizo can also constitute part of a larger Spanish-style tapas.
- 1 pound dried Spanish chorizo, pricked several times with a fork
- 1 bottle dry red wine, such as Rioja
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 sprigs fresh oregano, plus more for garnish
- 4 strips orange zest (each about 4 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide)
Place all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan. (Wine should come halfway up sides of chorizo.) Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer, flipping chorizo once, until sausage is tender and liquid has been reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Discard oregano sprigs.
Cut chorizo diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices, and arrange on plates. Drizzle with braising liquid, and garnish with additional oregano sprigs.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, December 2007