Baked Potato Bar
Each topping combination is enough for four potatoes. If you've got a crowd to feed, bake more potatoes, and make more than one style of topping.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: John Kernick
Source: Everyday Food, September 2007
- 4 baking potatoes (8 ounces each), scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Desired topping (below)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 ounces cooked ham, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, torn into small pieces
- 2 to 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup crumbled soft goat cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup store-bought salsa
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces sliced pepperoni (1 cup)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen leaf spinach, thawed, squeezed dry, and roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prick potatoes all over with a fork, and rub them with oil. Place potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until easily pierced with the tip of a paring knife, 50 to 60 minutes.
Cut a deep cross in each potato; push ends together to open. Season with salt and pepper; add desired toppings.