Pork Chops with Bacon and Cabbage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 bone-in pork chops (1 inch thick)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 strips bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 head green cabbage (about 2 1/2 pounds), cored and cut into 8 wedges
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set a large heavy roasting pan across two burners over high heat; add oil and heat. Season pork with salt and pepper; brown on one side, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip and cook 1 minute more. Transfer to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium. Add bacon; cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Add onion; cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add cabbage, cut side down, and cook until light golden, about 6 minutes. Flip and cook until slightly tender, about 3 minutes. Add flour and stir until coated. Add milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then nestle pork chops in sauce. Transfer pan to oven. Bake until pork is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
SourceEveryday Food, September 2009