Peanut Butter Cookie Cupcakes
- FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup natural, creamy peanut butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- FOR THE FROSTING
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, plus more for decorating
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 3 standard 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners.
Make the cupcakes: Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Put butter and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low. Mix in peanut butter. Mix in eggs, 1 at a time, and vanilla. Add flour mixture; mix until combined. Mix in sour cream.
Spoon scant 3 tablespoons batter into each muffin cup. Bake until pale golden and a cake tester inserted into centers comes out clean, about 13 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; let cool completely.
Make the frosting: Put cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, and butter into the clean bowl of a mixer fitted with the clean paddle attachment; mix on medium- high speed until pale and fluffy. Stir in peanut butter with a rubber spatula.
Spread 1 1/2 tablespoons frosting onto each cupcake. Refrigerate until frosting is firm, about 10 minutes. Using tines of a fork dipped in confectioners' sugar, score each top in a crosshatch pattern. Cupcakes can be refrigerated in single layers in airtight containers up to 2 days.