Ginger Pumpkin Bread
When the pan is well buttered and floured, the loaf is easy to release and has neat sides. Using a pastry brush, spread room-temperature butter on the inside of the pan, including corners. Dust the pan with flour to coat butter completely. To get rid of excess flour, invert pan and tap over sink.
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus room-temperature butter for pan
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree (1 3/4 cups)
- 3 large eggs
- Sugar Glaze, (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter and flour two 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch (6-cup) loaf pans (see note, below); set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, ginger, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together sugars, pumpkin, melted butter, and eggs; add flour mixture, and stir until just combined.
Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of loaves comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes; invert pans and transfer loaves to a wire rack to cool completely. Glaze, if desired.