Rice Noodles with Chicken, Pork, and Shrimp
In this quintessential pancit (a traditional Filipino noodle dish), rice noodles are piled high with ground pork, chicken, and whole shrimp.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2007
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 pound rice vermicelli or rice-stick noodles
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, plus more if needed
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound small shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact (reserve shells for Fish Stock)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice ( 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 4 cups napa cabbage (about 1 pound), thinly sliced
- 2 1/4 cups Shrimp Stock for Rice Noodles with Chicken, Pork, and Shrimp
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced on the diagonal (1/4 cup)
- 1 to 2 lemons, cut into wedges
Place eggs in a small saucepan, and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Turn off heat; let stand, covered, for 13 minutes. Drain. Cover with cold water, and let stand 2 minutes. Peel and quarter eggs. Cover, and refrigerate.
Fill a large bowl with warm water. Add noodles, and let soak for 15 minutes, stirring to separate as they soften. Drain.
Heat oil in a large, heavy stockpot over medium-high heat. Season chicken and shrimp with salt and pepper. Working in batches, cook chicken, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate. Add shrimp to stockpot, and cook, stirring, until bright pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer shrimp to another plate.
Reduce heat to medium. Add additional oil if necessary. Add onion, carrots, and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 minutes. Add pork, and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Stir in fish sauce, and cook 1 minute. Add cabbage, and toss to coat. Add noodles, chicken, and stock, and gently stir. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until noodles are tender and most of the stock has been absorbed, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand, partially covered, 5 minutes. Add shrimp and lemon juice, gently stirring to avoid breaking noodles.
Transfer to a platter. Sprinkle with scallion. Arrange hard-boiled eggs around noodles, and serve warm or at room temperature with lemon wedges.