Spicy Mussels and Chorizo
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 3 cups canned crushed tomatoes with juice
- 4 ounces dried, hot chorizo, cut on the diagonal into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Heat oil in a large, heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add shallot; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and red-pepper flakes; cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Add wine; bring to a boil. Add tomatoes and chorizo. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add mussels. Cover, and continue to cook, shaking pot occasionally.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, November 2006