Crab Salad Canapes
Use yellow or red bell peppers instead of orange if you wish to vary the color.
- Yield: Makes 12
Source: MSL Cookbook Vol. 1; Original Classics
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 baguette or ficelle, cut into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
- 1/4 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked clean
- 1/2 celery stalk, strings removed, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 small carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-long matchsticks
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram leaves, for garnish
Heat a grill to hot, or turn on the broiler. Cook bell pepper until it is completely charred, turning so all sides cook evenly, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer warm pepper to a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside until cool.
Using your hands, rub off charred skin. Slice pepper in half, and remove seeds and stem. Cut pepper into diamond shapes that are slightly larger than a piece of baguette.
Using a wooden spoon, mix together butter and two mustards in a small bowl until well combined. Spread a generous dollop of mustard butter on each slice of bread.
Place remaining ingredients except marjoram in a medium bowl, and toss to combine. Place a pepper diamond on each piece of bread, and top with a mound of crab salad. Garnish each canape with several marjoram leaves, and serve.