Roasted Onion and Cherry-Tomato Compote
Drizzle these vegetables with serrano vinaigrette before serving.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 cups red cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups yellow cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Marsala wine
Preheat oven to 425 degrees with a 12-by-14-inch roasting pan on center rack. Rub olive oil over onions and garlic, and place in pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until onions begin to brown, 35 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the pan gets too dry and onions begin to stick, add a few tablespoons of water. Lower heat to 400 degrees. Add raisins, stir, and cook 8 minutes more. Add tomatoes and brown sugar; cook until tomatoes begin to split, 5 to 7 minutes.
Transfer the pan to top of stove over medium-high heat. Add Marsala, and season with salt and pepper. Stir well, scraping up any cooked-on bits. Stir until Marsala has been fully incorporated. Serve the vegetables warm.