These turnovers will bring back fond memories of treats Mom used to make.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Source: Everyday Food, April 2007
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1 box (17.25 ounces, 2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 bag (12 ounces) frozen cherries
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten with 2 teaspoons water (for egg wash)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons coarse sanding (or granulated) sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, using a rolling pin, roll out each sheet of dough, still folded into a rectangle about 10 by 14 inches (trim edges straight with a pizza cutter or knife). Cut each rectangle into quarters to form 8 small rectangles.
In a medium bowl, combine cherries, flour, granulated sugar, and lemon juice; toss to coat. Mound cherry mixture on one side of each rectangle, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Lightly brush border with water; fold other side of pastry over cherry mixture, and press edges firmly to seal. With a floured fork, crimp edges.
Transfer turnovers to a baking sheet. With a paring knife, cut 3 to 4 slits in the top of each turnover. Brush tops with egg wash, and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
Bake until turnovers are golden and puffed, and filling is bubbling, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.