Chocolate-Espresso Mascarpone Puddings
Served in individual cups, these chocolatey puddings are garnished with whipped cream and curls of candied orange peel.
- Servings: 6
Photography: GENTL & HYERS
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2005
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 12 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant espresso powder, dissolved in 1 tablespoon boiling-hot water
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Candied orange peel, for garnish (optional)
Whisk yolks and sugar in a large heatproof bowl until pale and creamy, about 1 minute. Set bowl over a pan of simmering water; whisk until an instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees and mixture is thickened, about 3 minutes.
Remove from heat; whisk in cocoa, cheese, espresso, vanilla, and salt. Refrigerate in an airtight container until cold, 30 minutes (or up to 2 days).
Beat cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Top each serving of pudding with whipped cream. Garnish with candied orange peel, if desired.