An Asian-flavored marinade also serves as a sauce for this fish.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 1998
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 small jalapeno pepper
- 1 piece fresh ginger (1/2 inch), peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (2 limes)
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 halibut fillet (1 1/2 pounds), skin removed and cut into 4 equal pieces
Combine garlic, jalapeno pepper, ginger, lime juice, and cilantro in the jar of a blender. Cover blender, and remove the stopper. Turn on blender, and slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Process until mixture is bright green and smooth. Season cilantro sauce to taste with salt and black pepper.
Season both sides of fillets with salt and black pepper. Brush the top of each fillet with 1 tablespoon cilantro sauce.
Fill a large high-sided skillet with 1 inch water. Set over high heat, and bring to a boil. Set a steamer basket in the skillet, and arrange fillets in basket. Cover, and steam until fish has just cooked through but is still moist, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove fish from steamer, drizzle with additional cilantro sauce, and serve.