Korean Short Rib Kebabs
Ingredients borrowed from Korean and Indian cuisines give far-flung flavors to these kebabs. Hot kimchi (store-bought is fine) is great with the sweet, gingery ribs.
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon packed light-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened apple juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless Korean-style flanken short ribs, 1/4 inch thick (sold at Asian markets)
- Kimchi, for serving
- Steamed rice, for serving
- Bibb lettuce, for serving
Combine soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, juice, ginger, sesame seeds, garlic, and scallions in a shallow dish. Add ribs. Cover, and refrigerate at least 4 hours (preferably overnight).
Preheat grill to medium-high. Thread meat onto skewers, and grill until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve with kimchi, rice, and lettuce.