Short Ribs with Root Vegetables
Boneless beef short ribs, this page, are seared, and then simmered for hours until theyâ��re silky and tender. Brown sugar and apple cider, along with parsnips, carrots, and potatoes, add notes of sweetness to this Hanukkah favorite.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living Special Issues
- 6 pounds boneless beef short ribs, trimmed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 large onions, (9 ounces each), halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups apple cider
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 3/4 pounds carrots, peeled and cut on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet; set aside. Season beef with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a 9-quart Dutch oven over high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches, cook the beef, flipping once, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer beef to the wire rack. Reduce heat to medium-low.
Add onions to pot; cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 10 minutes. Raise heat to medium. Add garlic; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in brown sugar, cider, stock, and 1/2 cup water. Add thyme, rosemary, and parsley. Return beef to pot. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
Cover; transfer to oven. Cook until almost fork tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
Remove pot from oven. Stir in parsnips, carrots, and potatoes. Return to oven; cook until fork-tender, 1 hour 10 minutes more. Gently transfer beef and vegetables to a baking sheet or a plate.
Skim fat from cooking liquid. Simmer over medium heat until reduced by about half, about 7 minutes. Return beef and vegetables to pot. Season with salt and pepper; toss gently. Transfer to serving platter. Sprinkle with parsley.