All-purpose potatoes, like Yukon gold, work well in this recipe, but your favorite variety can be substituted.
- 4 medium Yukon gold potatoes (1 1/2 pounds), peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- One 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock, skimmed of fat
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro
Cut potatoes in half, then cut each half into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Pour oil into large nonstick skillet, and place over medium heat. When oil is hot, add cinnamon stick and cumin; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
Add the potatoes, and season with salt and pepper; raise heat to high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are golden brown on both sides, 6 to 7 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and chicken stock, add salt and pepper to taste, cover, and reduce heat to medium low. Cook the potatoes until very tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Toss in the cilantro, and transfer to a serving dish.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, December/January 1996/1997