Penne with Summer Vegetable Ragout
These ingredients are only suggestions; use whatever is ripest, from the market or your own garden.
- 2 cups diced eggplant
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow squash
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium bulb fennel, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into small pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 2 cups seeded, diced ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 10 ounces penne pasta
In a large pan over high heat, saute eggplant and rosemary in oil for 5 minutes. Add squash and zucchini, and saute a few minutes more. Salt and pepper lightly. Add fennel, onion, and garlic, and saute until soft. Add peppers, reduce heat, and cook for 4 minutes. Mix in thyme and orange zest; add tomatoes and vinegar. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and adjust seasonings with salt, pepper, vinegar, or oil. Cover, and keep warm.
Cook penne in a large pot of boiling salted water, according to package instructions, until al dente. Drain. Toss with the vegetables. Serve hot or cold.