Caramelized Sweet Potatoes
Like other caramelized vegetables, sweet potatoes should be cut into thick slices to keep them from getting too soft.
- Yield: Makes about 3 dozen slices
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2005
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 2 1/2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes; cook, turning occasionally, 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add wine and stock; simmer, stirring occasionally, until almost all liquid has evaporated, about 20 minutes. Add brown sugar and salt; cook, carefully turning potatoes to brown both sides, about 20 minutes. Transfer caramelized sweet potatoes to a plate. Let cool slightly.