Wilted Spinach with Shaved Vegetables
Simple steamed spinach gets a refreshing topping of shaved vegetables to give it some crunch.
- 3 small carrots, shaved lengthwise with a handheld slicer
- 4 radishes, shaved with a handheld slicer
- 2 baby beets, peeled, trimmed, and shaved with a handheld slicer
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 1/2 pounds baby spinach, trimmed and washed well
- 6 grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
Prepare an ice-water bath. Place carrots, radishes, and beets in bath, and let stand for 20 minutes.
Whisk together oil, lemon juice, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in tarragon.
Cook spinach with water clinging to leaves, covered, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from skillet, and squeeze out excess liquid. Drizzle spinach with some of the dressing, toss, and arrange on a serving platter.
Using a slotted spoon, remove vegetables from ice-water bath, and transfer to a bowl. Add tomatoes. Toss with 3 to 4 tablespoons dressing. Arrange vegetables over spinach. Serve with remaining dressing on the side.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, July 2009