- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Source: Everyday Food, September 2008
- 3 slices white sandwich bread
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 heads broccoli (about 2 pounds total), florets finely chopped, stalks peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar (4 ounces)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with rack in upper third. In a food processor, pulse bread and 1 tablespoon oil until large crumbs form; season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a large saucepan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium. Whisk in flour; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; add broccoli. Reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until broccoli is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in 3/4 cup cheese.
Transfer mixture to a shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish; top with breadcrumbs and remaining cheese. Bake until breadcrumbs are golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.