Classic Mexican Guacamole
This recipe was inspired by the tableside version prepared at Rosa Mexicano. To ripen hard avocados, leave them in a closed paper bag at room temperature for a few days.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/4 teaspoons jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more for seasoning if desired
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, pitted, peeled, and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato, seeded and finely chopped
With a large mortar and pestle, mash onion, 1 tablespoon cilantro, jalapeno, and salt until smooth and juicy. Add avocado, and mash slightly (avocado should remain somewhat chunky). Stir in tomato and remaining 2 teaspoons cilantro. Season with salt, if desired. Use immediately.