Double Chocolate Coconut Cookies
Two kinds of chocolate plus walnuts and coconut equals one tempting treat.
- Yield: Makes about 5 dozen
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 cups white-chocolate chunks (about 9 ounces)
- 1 3/4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 3/4 cups coarsely chopped walnuts, (about 6 ounces)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put butter and sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Mix in eggs, 1 at a time. Stir in vanilla.
Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl. Mix into butter mixture on low speed until well combined. Stir in chocolate, coconut, and walnuts.
Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop, drop batter onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly. Bake until set, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks 2 minutes. Transfer cookies on parchment to racks to cool completely. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 1 week.