Roasted Glazed Lady Apples and Prunes
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 3 whole Cloves
- 4 whole allspice berries
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 strip orange zest (about 2 inches)
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups (about 12 ounces) pitted prunes
- 2 1/2 pounds Lady apples, halved if desired, or Golden Delicious apples, cored and quartered
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
Combine wine, spices, zest, 2 thyme sprigs, and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat, and simmer gently 15 minutes.
Pour hot wine mixture through a fine sieve over the prunes in a medium bowl; discard solids. Cover; set aside until softened, 2 hours or overnight.Transfer prunes to a bowl using a slotted spoon.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place apples on a rimmed baking sheet; pour prunes and 1/2 cup infused wine over them (reserve remaining wine for another use). Dot with butter; top with remaining thyme. Bake until apples are soft and liquid has reduced to a glaze, about 25 minutes. Toss to coat with syrup. Serve warm.