Wild Rice, Walnut, and Cranberry Dressing
To toast walnuts, spread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown and fragrant, about 10 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion (2 cups), finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 boxes (6 ounces each) wild-rice blend (discard seasoning packets)
- 1 1/2 cups toasted walnuts, broken into small pieces
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
In a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden brown, about 8 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Add 3 cups water; bring to a boil. Stir in wild-rice blend. Return to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Cover; cook over low heat until rice has absorbed all liquid, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
Transfer rice to a large bowl. Stir in walnuts, cranberries, and parsley; season again with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, or hold at room temperature for up to 5 hours.