Under 30 Minutes
Gnocchi with Summer Vegetables
A few minutes in a skillet transforms ripe tomatoes and zucchini into a fresh sauce for gnocchi.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 zucchini or summer squash, or one of each (about 2 pounds total), quartered and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 package (15 to 16 ounces) frozen gnocchi
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add squash and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until squash is crisp-tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until juicy, about 2 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook gnocchi according to package instructions. Reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid, drain gnocchi and transfer to skillet. Toss gnocchi, adding enough cooking liquid to create a sauce. Remove from heat and stir in basil, cheese, butter, and lemon juice.
SourceEveryday Food, June 2009