Cranberry Sauce with Cognac
This is a spicy variation on traditional cranberry sauce.
- 2 cups fresh or defrosted frozen cranberries
- 3 tablespoons Cognac
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 whole allspice berries
- 2 whole cloves
- 4 whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- Cinnamon stick, (1/2-inch piece)
In a medium saucepan, combine cranberries, cognac, sugar, and orange juice. Place allspice, cloves, peppercorns, red-pepper flakes, and cinnamon stick in a double layer of cheesecloth; bundle it up, tie with kitchen string, and add to saucepan.
Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook, stirring often, until syrupy, 15 to 20 minutes. Discard bundle, and transfer mixture to a bowl, let cool, and refrigerate until needed.