Lamb Shanks and Potatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 strips orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 1/2 pounds lamb shanks, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 1/4 pounds small new potatoes, scrubbed well, halved (or quartered, if large)
In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, stir together tomatoes and puree, tomato paste, jam, garlic, orange zest, rosemary, ginger, and cinnamon. Season with salt and pepper. Add lamb and potatoes, stirring to combine.
Cover, and cook on low for 8 hours (or on high for 5 hours), until lamb and potatoes are tender. Season again with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve.
SourceEveryday Food, December 2006