Lamb Shanks and Potatoes
Take it easy: Your slow cooker or oven can work delicious magic with our lamb dinner to fix and forget.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Source: Everyday Food, December 2006
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 strips orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 1/2 pounds lamb shanks, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 1/4 pounds small new potatoes, scrubbed well, halved (or quartered, if large)
In the Slow Cooker
In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, stir together tomatoes and puree, tomato paste, jam, garlic, orange zest, rosemary, ginger, and cinnamon. Season with salt and pepper. Add lamb and potatoes, stirring to combine.
Cover, and cook on low for 8 hours (or on high for 5 hours), until lamb and potatoes are tender. Season again with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve.
In the Oven
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Follow step 1 (above), using a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy pot with a tight fitting lid instead of the slow cooker. Add 2 cups water, and cover. Transfer to oven; cook until lamb and potatoes are tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.