Open-Face Roast Beef Sandwich
- 1 1/2 pounds top round beef roast
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons bottled white horseradish
- 2 to 3 bunches (about 1 pound) watercress, washed and thick stems removed
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 4 thick slices country bread
Prep: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place beef on a rimmed baking sheet. Rub with 1 teaspoon of the oil, and season generously with salt and pepper. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of meat registers 135 degrees (for medium-rare), 30 to 35 minutes; let cool.
In a small container, combine sour cream and horseradish; season with salt and pepper. If preparing this recipe in advance, see storage instructions, below.
Serve: If stored in refrigerator, bring beef and horseradish cream to room temperature. To make salad, toss watercress with vinegar and remaining tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Thinly slice beef, and place on each of four bread slices; top with horseradish cream. Serve with watercress salad.
SourceEveryday Food, June 2006