Balsamic Portobello Burgers with Bell Pepper and Goat Cheese
The sweet, complex flavors of balsamic vinegar enhance the smokiness of grilled portobellos and bell pepper, making for an ultra-satisfying meatless burger.
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for grates
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 red bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), cut into 4 equal pieces
- 8 portobello mushrooms (about 1 pound total), stems removed
- 4 hamburger buns
- 5 ounces fresh goat cheese, cut into 4 equal slices
- 4 lettuce leaves
In a shallow dish, whisk together oil, vinegar, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add bell pepper and mushrooms; toss gently to coat. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes (or refrigerate, up to overnight).
Heat grill to medium; lightly oil grates. Grill bell pepper, skin side down, until blackened, about 10 minutes; remove from grill. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard skin; set bell pepper aside. Grill mushrooms, covered, until lightly charred and tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Dividing evenly, top bottom half of each bun with bell pepper, mushrooms, goat cheese, and lettuce. Close burgers, and serve immediately.
SourceEveryday Food, July/August 2008