- Yield: Serves 4
Source: Everyday Food, April 2006
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms, such as cremini (trimmed, quartered), shiitakes (stems removed, caps thinly sliced), button mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, optional
Heat oil and butter in a large skillet set over high heat.
Add mushrooms in an even layer; cook, without stirring, until mushrooms release their water and it evaporates.
Once browned, stir mushrooms, and season with salt and pepper.
Add shallots and garlic; cook until fragrant.
Add thyme and sherry; cook until liquid has almost evaporated. Season with salt and pepper.
Stir in cream if desired; cook until heated through, about 1 minute.