Light Chocolate-Chunk Brownies
These brownies have a triple helping of chocolate: cocoa powder and melted chocolate in the batter, plus chocolate chunks on top.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 16
Source: Everyday Food, 2008
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower, plus more for pan
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (2 ounces melted, 2 ounces coarsely chopped)
- 2 large eggs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush a 9-inch square baking pan with oil; line with a strip of parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two sides, and brush paper with oil.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda; set aside. In another medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, applesauce, sour cream, melted chocolate, eggs, and oil until combined; add flour mixture, and mix just until moistened.
Spread batter in prepared pan; sprinkle top with chopped chocolate. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes.
Cool completely in pan. Use paper overhang to lift cake from pan; peel off paper, and discard. Cut into 16 squares.