Wilted Escarole with Apples
These greens get a sweet, tart boost from apples and cider vinegar.
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, December 2009
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced small
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 bunch (about 1 pound) escarole
In a small saucepan, heat extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high. Add shallot and season with coarse salt and ground pepper; cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add apples and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cider vinegar. In a large bowl, toss escarole, roughly chopped, with apple mixture; season with salt and pepper.