English Salad Cream
We served this dressing with cold boiled lobster tails. Try it with shrimp or on a green salad.
- Yield: Makes about 2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August
- 1 large egg, plus 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Put all ingredients into a blender, and blend until well combined.
Transfer mixture to a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Whisk until mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon, 4 to 5 minutes. Continue to cook, whisking, 3 minutes.
Pour mixture into a bowl set in the ice-water bath. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until completely cool. Salad cream can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 2 days.