A twist on the traditional tandoori marinade, this cumin- and coriander-flecked yogurt paste remains on the chicken during roasting, ensuring that the skin crisps, while keeping the underlying meat moist and silken. The resulting depth of flavor belies the recipe's everyday ingredients.
- Yield: Makes enough for 5 to 6 pounds chicken
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2008
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup packed fresh mint
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 strips lemon zest (each 2 inches long)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Place all of the ingredients in a blender, and puree until smooth. Use immediately, spreading the mixture on the chicken skin.