Cheese Balls Three Ways
Make all three flavored cheese balls or prepare just one or two, adjusting the ingredients accordingly.
- Servings: 10
- Yield: Makes three 4-inch cheese balls
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2005
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 packages cream cheese (8 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 5 dashes hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
Cheddar and Cranberry:
- 8 ounces sharp orange cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons store-bought chutney
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
- Water crackers, for serving
Roquefort and Walnut:
- 6 ounces Roquefort cheese
- 1 shallot, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 teaspoons brandy (optional)
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Vegetable chips (such as Terra Chips Sweets & Beets), for serving
Goat Cheese and Scallions:
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
- 1/3 cup fresh curly-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 English cucumber, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices, for serving
Basic Cheese Ball
Put butter, cream cheese, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, salt, and pepper into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until combined. Divide equally among 3 medium bowls.
Cheddar and Cranberry Cheese Ball
Stir cheddar cheese and chutney with base mixture in the first bowl. Form into a ball. Roll cheese ball in cranberries to coat before serving. Serve with crackers.
Roquefort and Walnut Cheese Ball
Stir blue cheese and shallot with base mixture in second bowl; add brandy, if desired. Form into a ball. Roll in walnuts to coat before serving. Serve with chips.
Goat Cheese and Scallions Cheese Ball
Stir goat cheese and scallions with base mixture in remaining bowl. Form into a ball. Roll in parsley to coat before serving. Serve with cucumber slices.