A silk drawstring bag with grosgrain ribbon is elegant for evening essentials. Here's one basic way to sew fabric to a backing, similar to our quilted potholders.
Tools and Materials:
- Silk satin, in Orange, bandjfabrics.com
- Embroidery floss, by DMC, herrschners.com
- Grosgrain ribbon, hymanhendler.com
Inside-Out Quilting How-To:
1. Place front and back fabrics, right sides together, on work surface (front fabric on the bottom); top with batting. For larger pieces, pin edges.
2. Using a sewing machine, sew around edges of the 3 layers with a 1/4- to 1/2-inch seam allowance, leaving an opening on 1 side. Clip corners on the diagonal. Turn the piece right side out. Use a point turner or other blunt tool to push corners into shape from the inside.
3. Stitch the opening closed by hand. Insert a loop of ribbon.