Fashion designer Zac Posen likes to personalize his sheets using this simple gradient-dying technique.
Tools and Materials
- RIT dyes in cherry red and wine
- Hot and cold tap water
- 5 plastic bins for dyeing (bins may discolor)
- Machine washer and dryer
Ombre Sheet How-To
1. Set up bins side by side. Prepare each bin as follows:
- Bin 1: Fill with hot water.
- Bin 2: Fill 2/3 full with hot water; mix in 1/4 bottle of cherry red dye.
- Bin 3: Fill 2/3 full with hot water; mix in 1/2 bottle of cherry red dye and 1/8 bottle of wine dye.
- Bin 4: Fill 2/3 full with hot water; mix in 3/4 bottle of wine dye.
- Bin 5: Fill with cold water.
2. Soak pillow sham in first bin of clear hot water.
3. Dip entire pillow case into Bin 2, rotating to ensure even coverage, for 30 seconds.
4. Dip 1/2 of pillow sham in Bin 3 for 30 seconds, overlapping the first dip. Dip 3/4 of sham into Bin 2 again briefly to blend dye stages.
5. Dip 1/4 of pillow sham in Bin 4 for 50 seconds, overlapping the other dips. Dip 3/4 of sham into Bin 2 again briefly to blend dye stages.
6. Repeat steps 3 to 5 if necessary, until desired color is achieved. Soak pillowcase in last bin of cold water to set dye.
7. Wring excess water from pillowcase, and hang to dry.
8. Wash dyed items on their own once in a machine washer set on cold; dry items in a hot dryer to set dye completely.
9. For maintenance washing, always wash dyed items with like colors.
Pillowcases and sheet sets from the Martha Stewart Collection at Macy's.