Chewy Chocolate Chunk-Cherry Cookies
These crave-worthy cookies have a kiss of cherry and make a sweet valentine when sealed with a personalized cherry-hearts tag. Try swapping the cherries for dried cranberries, which are just as tart and a cinch to find.
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (2 1/2 cups)
- 8 ounces dried cherries (1 1/2 cups)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Beat butter and sugars until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla, then flour mixture. Beat in chocolate and cherries. Refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
Roll dough into 1 3/4-inch balls (about 3 tablespoons each), and arrange on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing about 3 inches apart. Bake until edges are golden, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool on sheets set on wire racks for 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks; let cool completely.