Display special holiday ornaments on a sparkling tabletop tree made with tinsel.
Tools and Materials
- 16-gauge floral wire
- Wire cutters
- Measuring tool
- 10 yards 1/2-inch wired tinsel or pine garland
- Floral tape in color that approximately matches garland
- Needle-nosed pliers
- 24-inch-long, 1/4-inch-round dowel
- Floral tape in color desired for trunk
For cement tree base (optional):
- Planter, pot, or container
- 3-inch length of 1/2-inch pipe or 1/2-inch pipe nipple
- Quick-set cement
Tabletop Tinsel Tree How-To
1. To make tree branches, cut seven 6-inch strands of floral wire and six strands of tinsel or garland of each of the following measurements: 7-inch, 8-inch, 10-inch, and 13-inch. Cover each strand with floral tape that matches the garland.
2. Make a loop at one end of each wire branch piece with needle-nosed pliers.
3. Measuring from the top of the loop, mark wire at the following measurements for each branch:
- 13-inch branches: 6.25 inches from top
- 10-inch: 5.25 inches
- 8-inch: 3.75 inches
- 7-inch: 3.5 inches
- 6-inch: 2.5 inches
4. With pliers, bend each wire branch at the mark at a 90-degree angle.
5. Insert 1/2-inch wired tinsel garland into loop of each wire branch; twist garland around branch to cover up to bend. At the bend, snip garland with wire clippers.
6. To make the tree trunk, wrap dowel with floral tape in desired color for finished trunk.
7. Use floral tape to tack the six longest branches around the bottom of the dowel, evenly spaced, aligning bottom of uncovered branch wire with bottom of dowel. This will make the bottom tier of the tree. Cover all exposed wires entirely with floral tape to fill out trunk.
8. Bend down all branches on the first tier to attach the next tier of branches. Attach the six branches of the next tier, aligning bottom of uncovered branch wire with top of first tier. Repeat this process to attach all five tiers of branches.
9. For the top tier, attach seven branches instead of six, bending one branch straight up at the top of the tree. Trim dowel down to height of tree, if necessary.
Tip: All branches may be folded down against trunk for storage.
10. To make your own tree base, place a 3-inch piece of 1/2-inch pipe or pipe nipple in the center of a pot, planter, or container. Fill in around pipe with quick-set cement. When cement is set, place bottom of tree in pipe to hold in place, and fill in over cement with decorative pebbles or beads.
Alternatively, place bottom of tree in a container or vase filled with sand, gravel, or pebbles.
Tinsel and pine garland may be purchased from Papermart or Factory Direct Craft. Find 16-gauge floral wire at save-on-crafts.com. Floral tape and natural mango wood vases from Jamali Garden Supply. Oak dowels, wire clippers, needle-nosed pliers, and Ready-Set cement from The Home Depot. Most materials are also available at local craft and floral supply stores. Wired tinsel and greenery garland can be found in the gift wrap, ribbon, and holiday decorating sections of stores.