Banana-Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone ground
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (from 3 large bananas)
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon brown-rice syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sanding sugar or granulated sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a standard (12-cup) muffin tin with paper liners; coat liners with cooking spray.
Whisk together cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1 cup flour. In a large bowl, stir together bananas, buttermilk, rice syrup or honey, lemon juice, egg, and vanilla. Fold cornmeal mixture into banana mixture just until combined. Toss blueberries with remaining 2 teaspoons flour, and gently fold into batter.
Spoon batter into prepared tin, filling to the brims. Sprinkle each muffin with sugar. Bake until a toothpick inserted into center of 1 comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.