These muffins make a delightful treat -- without the guilt.
- Yield: Makes 12 muffins
Source: Body+Soul, July/August 2009
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour (spooned and leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup light olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. Toss together strawberries and 1/3 cup sugar. Using a potato masher, lightly mash berries; set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In a glass 2-quart measuring cup or a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, oil, egg, and vanilla; whisk to combine.
Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the buttermilk mixture and the berry mixture (with juice). Fold just until combined. Using an ice cream scoop, divide the batter among the muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops with remaining sugar.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 17 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.