Paella for 45
The amount of stock you need will vary depending on whether you cook the paella on a stove or over a fire.
- 4 to 5 medium, whole chickens, backbones removed
- 4 pounds boneless pork loin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 bell peppers (about 4 1/2 pounds of red and green), seeded and ribs removed, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 pounds whole, cleaned green beans, ends removed
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 6 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried Spanish saffron threads
- 1 cup brandy
- 10 to 12 cups homemade chicken stock, or low-sodium canned
- 2 large spanish onions, diced
- 1 cup minced garlic
- 2 1/2 cups peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped tomatoes
- 3 1/2 dozen littleneck clams
- 3 1/2 dozen small mussels, scrubbed
- 7 pounds squid, cleaned and cut into 1-inch rings and tentacle sections
- Juice of 4 lemons
- 4 cups fresh peas
- 4 cups lima beans
- 5 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 1/2 pounds Carolina rice
Coat chicken with 1/2 cup oil, paprika, and 2 tablespoons salt; let marinate for 2 hours. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook lobsters for 4 minutes, and drain. When cool enough to handle, remove tails from shells, and cut into bite-size pieces. Cut claws in half, leaving meat in shells. Discard bodies, or save for use in a seafood stock.
In a 28-inch paella pan, heat remaining cup olive oil over four burners set on medium heat, or over a hardwood fire (place grid 3 inches from fire). Cook chicken and pork in the oil until brown, turning occasionally, about 12 minutes.
Add red and green peppers; cook for 8 minutes, or until tender. Add green beans, onion, and garlic. Cook until garlic and onion are glazed. Add tomatoes.
Add clams and mussels. Let cook for 2 minutes. Add squid and shrimp; cook until shrimp turns pink and squid turns opaque. With a mortar and pestle or spice grinder, combine saffron with salt to create a powder. Transfer to a small bowl, and combine with 2 cups stock and 1 cup brandy.
Sprinkle rice evenly over the whole pan, and stir until combined. Pour saffron mixture over rice in the pan; season with ground pepper and salt. Add remaining chicken stock over rice.
Add lima beans, peas, and lemon juice. Cook for approximately 18 minutes, or until the rice absorbs the broth.
Ten to 15 minutes before serving, add the cooked lobster to the top; cook for an additional 8 minutes.
SourceMartha Stewart Living