Source: The Martha Stewart Show, October 2010
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced shallot rings
- 2 tablespoons Emeril's Kick It Up Red Pepper Sauce or other hot pepper sauce
- 4 cups vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Place shallots and pepper sauce in a large bowl; toss to combine. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Heat oil in a deep heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat until it reaches 360 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. Place flour in a shallow dish and dredge shallots in flour to coat; shake off excess. Transfer to hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer shallots to a paper-towel-lined plate. Season with salt and pepper; serve immediately.