Quinoa and Corn Salad with Pumpkin Seeds
Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) has an impressive protein profile. It contains amino acids not normally found in grains, and it cooks in 15 minutes. It has a pleasing crunch and mild, nutty flavor. If the quinoa salad is made ahead of time, let it come to room temperature before serving. Perk up its flavor with additional lemon juice if needed.
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 medium garlic clove minced or pressed
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa thoroughly rinsed and drained (about 4 Cups cooked)
- 2 ears corn kernels cut from cob
- 1 medium red pepper cored, seeded, and diced
- 1 large cucumber peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and diced
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 large jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Sea salt
- 1 medium head red-leaf lettuce leaves separated, washed and dried, small inner leaves reserved for future use
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes cored and cut in thin wedges
- 1 ripe avocado pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 lime cut in wedges
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds toasted
Bring 2 3/4 cups water to boil in a small saucepan and stir in the quinoa and some salt. Return to boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Turn off heat, place corn kernels on top of quinoa, cover pan, and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir corn into quinoa, remove from pan, and spread out on baking sheet to cool for about 20 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, cumin, chili powder, garlic, oil, and salt to taste; set aside.
Place cooled quinoa and corn, red pepper, cucumber, scallions, jalapeno, and cilantro in large bowl. Add 1/2 cup dressing (or more to taste) and salt to taste; mix until combined.
Place large lettuce leaves side by side in a circle around a large serving platter so the curly tops extend just beyond the platter rim. Mound quinoa salad in center.
Arrange tomato, avocado, and lime around quinoa on top of leaves. Sprinkle pumpkin seeds over salad. Serve immediately or hold briefly at room temperature.
Per serving: 643 calories; 17 g protein; 34 g fat; 76 g carb; 13 g fiber.
SourceBody+Soul, Volume 3 July/August 2005