Poached Salmon with Curried Yogurt Sauce
If you prepare the salmon ahead of time, store cooked salmon on a paper towel and in a covered dish in the refrigerator. When you're ready to serve the meal, bring all ingredients to room temperature before combining and garnishing.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
- Yield: Serves 4
Source: Everyday Food, June 2006
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 12 ounces green beans, ends trimmed
- 12 ounces carrots (about 4 medium), peeled and cut into sticks similar in size to beans
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless salmon fillet
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus sprigs for garnish (optional)
In a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, pour 1/2 inch water; bring to a boil, and season generously with salt. Add green beans and carrots. Return water to a simmer, cover skillet, and steam until vegetables are crisp-tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a colander; rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
Rinse skillet with cold water to cool it down. Place salmon in skillet, and add cold water to cover; season with salt. Bring water to a boil over high heat; cover skillet, and remove from heat. Set aside until salmon is opaque throughout, about 20 minutes. Remove from skillet, and let cool.
In a small bowl, stir together yogurt, curry powder, and cilantro; season with salt and pepper.
Break salmon into large pieces; serve with vegetables and yogurt sauce. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.