Source: Martha Stewart Living, January 2006
- 1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds), cut into 8 pieces
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 4-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 4-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 6 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) low-sodium store-bought chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
Place chicken in a large stockpot. Add remaining ingredients and enough water to cover chicken. Bring to a boil over high heat. Skim off any foam; discard. Reduce heat to low; simmer until chicken has just cooked through, about 25 minutes.
Transfer chicken to a plate, and let cool slightly. Pour stock through a fine sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Set aside 11/2 cups stock for potpie; reserve remaining stock for another use. Remove skin from chicken; discard. Remove meat from bones, and tear into bite-size pieces. (You should have about 4 cups.) Refrigerate, covered, until ready to use, up to 2 days.