Basic Poached Chicken
You can flavor the poaching liquid with whatever aromatics you have on hand. This recipe is just a guideline -- try fresh ginger and soy sauce or orange and rosemary.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
- Yield: Serves 4
Source: Everyday Food, January 2010
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, halved
- 1 medium carrot, cut into thirds
- 1 celery stalk, cut into thirds
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 lemon, sliced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3 sprigs thyme or parsley
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, (about 8 ounces each)
In a large, straight-sided skillet or pot, combine all ingredients except chicken; cover with water by 1/2 inch. Bring to a boil over high. Add chicken and return to a boil. Cook 3 minutes, then cover skillet and remove from heat. Let stand until chicken is cooked through, 15 to 18 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove chicken from poaching liquid immediately.