Chicken and Bulgur Salad
A hearty salad with grilled chicken and bulgur combines peppery watercress with sweet dried apricots.
- Yield: Serves 6
Photography: Ellie Miller
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2005
- 1 whole boneless, skinless chicken breast, split and pounded to 1/2 inch thick
For the Marinade
- 2 quarts plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 milliliter plus 1 teaspoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro stems, plus 3/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- Zest and juice of 1 lime, plus lime wedges
For the Broth
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups medium-grind bulgur
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
For the Dressing
- 3/4 teaspoon harissa or chili sauce
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
For the Salad
- 6 ounces green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bunch watercress, trimmed
- 3/4 cup drained canned chickpeas
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, quartered
- 2 tablespoons raw almonds, chopped
Cook onion and remaining garlic in 1/2 teaspoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in bulgur. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cover; simmer over low heat until liquid has been absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
Pat chicken dry; grill in a grill pan over medium-high heat until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
Make dressing: Whisk lime juice, remaining tablespoon honey, the harissa, 1/4 teaspoon each cumin and salt, and remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
Cook the green beans in boiling water until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Plunge into an ice-water bath, and drain.
Toss bulgur with 2 tablespoons dressing, the parsley, and cilantro leaves. Arrange watercress, bulgur mixture, chicken, beans, chickpeas, apricots, and nuts on a platter. Season with pepper. Drizzle with dressing. Serve with limes.