Hearty Spinach and Chickpea Soup
Note: This recipe adapted from Body and Soul magazine, February 2006.
- Yield: Serves 4
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms (about 4 cups) stems removed, thinly sliced
- 6 cups store-bought low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 bags (5-ounces each) baby spinach leaves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Stir in brown rice and return to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Cook, covered, for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan or Dutch-oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Add broth and rosemary; bring to a boil. Cover, and remove from heat.
Check rice after 30 minutes; if it is not yet tender, cover and continue cooking, up to 10 more minutes. Stir 2 cups cooked rice (reserve remaining rice for another use) and chickpeas into broth; return to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and continue cooking for 5 more minutes to allow flavors to blend.
Stir in spinach; cook, uncovered, until just wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cheese; serve immediately.