This recipe for summer rolls makes a light and healthy meal that's perfect for lunch or dinner.
- Yield: Makes 16
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, May 2006
- 12 medium shrimp, (about 6 ounces), peeled and deveined
- 3 ounces rice vermicelli
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 ounces shitake mushroom caps, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 16 round 8-inch rice-paper wrappers
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and julienned
- 1/4 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, preferably Thai
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 mango, peeled, seeded, and julienned
- 3 ounces pencil asparagus, (about 10 spears), trimmed and blanched
- Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Add shrimp; cook until pink and cooked through, about 2 minutes. Slice cooked shrimp in half lengthwise. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, cover rice vermicelli with hot water by 2 inches; let soak for 10 minutes. Drain, and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
Heat canola oil in a large skillet set over high heat. Add mushrooms, and saute until tender and mushrooms have released most of their liquid. Add vinegar, soy sauce, hoisin, and sesame oil; cook about 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a small bowl, and let cool to room temperature.
Fill a shallow dish with warm water. Working with 1 rice-paper wrapper at a time, soak in water for 30 seconds; immediately lay flat on a work surface. Place 3 reserved shrimp halves, cut sides up, on bottom third, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Place 2 to 3 reserved mushrooms over shrimp. Top with 1/4 cup assortment of vermicelli, carrots, cucumbers, mint, basil, cilantro, mango, and asparagus. Fold bottom of wrapper over fillings; roll over once, tuck in sides, and finish rolling.
Place finished roll on a plate; cover with damp paper towel. Repeat process with remaining ingredients. Serve with dipping sauce.